Sad to say, there are some people in this world who will hinder your success and happiness.
I urge you to avoid these people as much as you can. Firstly, because they’ll consume a lot of your energy for no real benefit… secondly, because being with them will undermine your success and happiness… and finally, because there are plenty of good people who are more deserving of your attention, and in turn, will do much more for you.
If you can’t avoid negative people altogether, put your emotional ‘armor’ on whenever you’re near them. By all means be civil, moral and ethical… but be careful not to let them ‘get to you’ (whether or not they mean to).
Here are 7 types of people to avoid. Those who are – when it comes to their relationship with YOU – predominantly:
1. Evil – people who are immoral, unethical and malicious.
2. Dishonest – people who lie, are deceitful and can’t be trusted.
3. Selfish – people who nearly always put themselves first and just can’t seem to empathize with anyone else.
4. Negative – people who leave you feeling bad about yourself. They can do this overtly or quite subtly. The clue lies in how you feel during, or just after, being around them. If you somehow feel a little worse… they’re negative.
5. Self-centered – people who constantly talk about themselves… to the point where you’ll mention something peculiar to your own life, and they’ll still find an angle that’s about them!
6. Uncommunicative – people who constantly need to be prodded for any kind of communication, let alone meaningful contribution. They’re inherently uncommunicative and reactive… and hard work to deal with.
7. All of the above – don’t walk away from someone like this: RUN!
Now, let me add that someone you find to be negative, may NOT be a negative influence on someone else. And apart from people who, in their dealings with you, seem evil, dishonest or selfish, a negative person may not be a ‘bad’ person. They may just be a ‘bad match’ for you.
This is not about judging people – it’s about you deciding who to associate with for your own sanity, success and happiness.